Thursday, October 2, 2008

Oh my bonnie

So I should totally be going to bed right now, but who cares. I'm sick and living dangerously! Also known as wide awake, but not so wide awake as to write about castles. This could be a problem as I have another Bucknell excursion this coming Saturday to 2 more châteaux. Oops. Tomorrow, you will get my post on castles tomorrow. Or I'll just post my French paper and you can all attempt to sort it out.

So today, Thursday. I'm less sick. The weather is colder and both of my younger host siblings are on facebook which is just hilariously entertaining. I've been here for a month, which is insane to think about. It's gone by so quickly. Laura and I are talking about spending October break, since she has the same week off, traveling the UK and Scotland (swhing!) since she has friends there too. Laura rocks (and is probably reading this - yeah, that's right I see you!) Going through 5 boxes of tissues together is very bonding. Truly. And it's her birthday tomorrow! Happy birthday Laura!!! Going out to dinner with a bunch of the assistants (the program wherein foreign people come into European schools and help teach elementary - high school students English). But more on those awesome people some other time, when I have pictures of them :)

So today we had choir, and honestly, this is the real reason that I wrote this post, because this memory must be forever ingrained in my mind, and the internets. This choir is turning out to be one of the greatest things I signed up for - I have a friend named Maud who is a music student of piano and we have a hang out rendez-vous next week, super excited, and it's a great bunch of REALLY friendly people who try and speak English or explain music (which is cute because we can sight read better than most of them). Laura, Stefanie and I are, indeed, the only Americans.

Anyway, the choir is at a music school and our choir director elected us to be guinea pigs for some directing students for their audition to get into this music program. Yeah. Intense. Anyways, they were all doing really well then it's the next guys turn, and he can't be more than 25. And hands us a song "Bring Back (Ecosse)" by Georges Prost. For those of you who don't speak French, Ecosse is Scotland. And he proceeds to tell us that we are going to sing it in English and to repeat after him. At this point I wish I knew phonics so I could write out what it sounded like. But I'll try:

"Mai bone-e is O-vair ze O-see-an, Mai bone-e is O-vair ze cee, Mai bone-e Es O-vair ze O-see-an, 'An prring pack mai bone-e tu me"

For the real words see the end of the post to see if you got it right :)

A group of 60 people saying that is worth at least 3 bottles of highly fizzed champagne in your system. Especially when they all are looking at you and you're trying not to laugh and they smile understandingly, and at the end they all say "don't mock our accents" in joking tones. We assured them (falsely) we were laughing at the translation, which indeed was horribly incorrect and different.

It makes you wonder though...when I speak French, is that what it sounds like to them?
At least I have somewhat French 'r's



So, how'd ya do?

real words:
"My bonnie is over the ocean, my bonnie is over the sea, my bonnie is over the ocean and bring back my bonnie to me"

No comments: